Monday 28 March 2016

Seventeen Birthday Suite Palette and Define & Conquer Contour Kit review!

Hi guys! Day two of running a blog and I'm still motivated, it's all good! Been a pretty chill day over here with it being Bank Holiday Monday in the UK, one of those weird days where it still doesn't feel real that I don't have to work anymore... I used to always have to work these public holidays for the first ten years of my working life, and for the past couple years I've finally had jobs where I get them off, paid! But I always feel guilty when I go into shops on public holidays anyway for the staff at work. However, today that didn't stop me, and while killing some time in town I decided to wander into Boots and check out something I've been meaning to do for ages... contouring.

Yep, you heard right, until today I have NEVER contoured before. Seriously, I just didn't know how people were doing it or what to do, partly I worried that as I'm super pale, it'd make me look weird and muddy. However, having heard rave reviews of Seventeen's contour kit, I figured that for £6 it was worth experimenting so I picked that up. As it was buy one get one half price, this baby also found its way into my basket...


I'm a sucker for a nude palette, I own the first two Naked palettes but given their price I thought it'd be a cool idea to have a cheaper nude palette to take away with me, something I wouldn't be gutted about if it got ruined. They had a great alternative palette with some more blue toned, darker coloured but as I own several fantastic Urban Decay palettes (Alice in Wonderland, Book of Shadows IV, the latest Vice) and really don't think their formula can be rivaled, I played it safe with Birthday Suit.





I was pleasantly surprised to see that the darker powder in the contour palette wasn't as dark as I feared. I picked up a new cheap brush specifically to use for contouring by Seventeen for £2.99 which works a treat as it lays the colour down pretty gently rather than being too over the top. Excitedly, I stood in front of the open window for maximum natural light, held my breath and gave it a shot... and here's the result!


As you can see, it's really not too harsh for even my ghost-toned skin, yet it really helps to define my cheekbones. I'm using a Rimmel liquid blush in the middle of the dark powder and the highlight. My only concern is that the lighter powder, which is supposed to be shimmery, is a little chalky and doesn't seem to do much in the way of highlighting as my skin is already as pale as the powder. But for £5.99 I'm pretty happy just with the darker shade, using my own Sleek solstice palette as a highlight. 




As you can see in this final photo, I even tried contouring the sides of my nose, something I never thought I would get away with, and to my amazement it does make my nose (in real life anyway, maybe not on camera) look slimmer and more defined. It's such a subtle difference but it makes me feel much more 'done' and put together. Excellent!

I haven't had chance to play with the Easy on the Eye Seventeen Birthday Suit palette yet, but I was amazed to find that it contains not only a selection of powder shadows and creams, but also a pan of primer! What a genius idea to put primer in an actual palette. I usually use the Rimmel eyeshadow primer (when the holy grail Urban Decay primer is out of my budget) but I'm keen to give this primer a shot, and maybe even save some space next time I go away.

Seventeen are currently buy one, get one half price in Boots. You can buy the contour kit here for £5.99, and the palette here for £7.99. Have you tried these?

No comments:

Post a Comment